[mythtv-users] Help getting KWorld/VStream XPert DVB-T to work

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 07:01:23 EST 2005

On 21/12/05, Joacim J <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/21/05, David Watkins <watkinshome at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 21/12/05, Joacim J <jocke4news at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks anyway ;-)
> > >
> > > Do you have any idea about the questions I wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't have the /dev/dvb/... or the adapter/frontend aren't
> > > registered...is it because the /dev/dvb/...isn't created?? When/Where
> > > are /dev/dvb/... created?
> > >

> > I missed the beginning of this thread, but have you looked at which
> > dvb modules are being loaded?
> >
> > /sbin/lsmod
> >
> > For my Nova-t card I had to manually modprobe cx88_dvb (I think that's
> > the correct name) because the wrong [blackbird] module was being
> > automatically loaded.
> >
> > It was the
> >
> > /sbin/modprobe cx88_dvb
> >
> > command that created the /dev/dvb/adapter stuff
> >
> > ( look in dmesg for errors / success messages)
> >
> > I'm not saying that this is the module for you (though it's worth a
> > try) but you need to find out which module it is you need, and check
> > that it is being loaded.
> >
> > HTH
>
> David,
>
> Here I got something interesting.
>
> 1. Fresh booted machine and the dmesg is not showing any DVB info
> 2. Result of /sbin/lsmod command is below
> 3. Executed "/sbin/modprobe cx88_dvb"
> 4. dmesg now show som interesting output, see below at the end. And I get:
>
> [root at HTPC ~]# ls -al /dev/dvb/adapter0/
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root    120 Dec 21 12:26 .
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     60 Dec 21 12:26 ..
> crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 4 Dec 21 12:26 demux0
> crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 5 Dec 21 12:26 dvr0
> crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 3 Dec 21 12:26 frontend0
> crw-rw----  1 root root 212, 7 Dec 21 12:26 net0
> [root at HTPC ~]#
>
> Now, how can I make persistent? I mean so the module 'cx88_dvb' is
> loaded every time.

Well for me, all I had to do was prevent the cx88_blackbird module

I notice that you've also got the blackbird module in there so maybe
that would work for you too.

As you've found out loading the cx88_dvb on top doesn't seem to cause
any problems so you can just force it to load.

As for how to do either of the above, I'm afraid I'd have to look up
the way I did it tonight and I suspect it's distribution dependent
anyway.  I'm running Fedora Core 3, so if you don't get any joy before
I get home tonight I can let you know my solution.

Post back with the flavour of linux that you are using, and I suspect
someone else here will be able to help you.

In the meantime you could look at using /etc/modprobe.conf or rc.local
or rc.sysinit (as described in Jarod Wilson's guide to mythtv on
Fedora)