[mythtv-users] "Windowed" Front-end?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:07:04 EST 2005

> >Lonnie Borntreger wrote:
> >>I was just wondering if there was a MythTV front-end "client" for Linux
> >>that runs in a window, but gives access to all of MythTVs features.  My
> >>daughter is running Linux, doesn't have a TV, and I would like to allow
> >>her to use MythTV in a way that allows her to continue doing other stuff
> >>also.  So, basically, a "windowed" front-end that doesn't take over the
> >>full screen.  Is there anything like that?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Lonnie Borntreger

Hi Lonnie,
   I run Myth in Gnome and I find it frustrating for the same reason.
When you start Myth first there is no way to get back to the desktop.
Bummer.

   My strategy for getting around this is to run one small app,
usually an xterm, and then run Myth. When I want to work on something
I do an Alt-Tab to the termain, which also shows all of Gnome's
taskbars and menus. I can then browse the web, run Open Office, k3b,
etc, while Myth is running. While this does not allow me to see all of
the picture, I find it preferable to be able to do another Alt-Tab
backj to myth and the screen size is full screen instead of something
smaller.

   When I forget to start the xterm fist I do a save position (enter)
then exit Myth, start the terminal, and return to the program where I
left off.

   Oh, by the way, I'm watching The Daily Show on my desktop while
writing this to you in Firefox.

   I hope this helps your daughter a bit.

Cheers,
Mark