[mythtv-users] No backend for KnoppMyth

Maurice Rahe rahe at math.tamu.edu
Tue Dec 20 23:23:07 EST 2005

I installed KnoppixMyth on a box with a Hauppauge PVR-500MCE card.
All that I got was static, so I started looking for problems.

The signal is there when I connect through a VCR using the
red/white/yellow connectors, but not when I try to go through
the coax connector to the tuner. I suspect that the tuners are
not being recognized by autodetect (see below).

At any rate, the backend is not being seen, and I get an error message to
"fix" the ip address (which works just fine for ssh and scp, and allows
me to download programming data).

Has anyone already been down this path and perhaps already knows the fix?

Here is the reference:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_PVR_500_Setup

NEWER Hauppauge DVR 500 cards utilize a Samsung tuner that isn't current
100% supported. Autodetection of the tuner WILL NOT work. Use tuner=57,57
for the time being, and be aware that channels 55 and above won't be
visible until full support is available.

COMMON PROBLEM

Make sure BOTH tuners are detected! it is typical for one tuner to come up
as type 4 - NoTuner. This will prevent you from using both tuners (though
you will still have 1 tuner) The result of using "NoTuner" will be static
or no signal! PVR150 users need only specify tuner=57 as the card only has
one tuner.

To fix this:

 root at localhost # rmmod ivtv
 root at localhost # modprobe ivtv tuner=57,57
 root at localhost # echo ivtv tuner=57,57 >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6

side note, setting up /etc/modules.d/ivtv should mean that the tuner=57,57
part happens automatically; however, on my system this is not true as
dmesg shows. In the end, the point remains that you need to check to make
sure BOTH tuners get loaded correctly.

My real question is what changes to make in the module section, since
I'm not sure what the knoppix/debian equivalent is of the echo ivtv
tuner=57,57 >> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 that works for gentoo.

Here's my output which seems to indicate that my tuners are being seen
as FM receivers by autodetect. (Yes, there is also one FM receiver on the
card, too.)

root at mythtv:/etc/sysconfig# modprobe ivtv
root at mythtv:/etc/sysconfig# dmesg | grep tuner
tuner (ivtv): chip found at addr 0xc0 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=(tuner unset), addr=60]
tuner: type set to 62 (Philips TEA5767HN FM Radio) by autodetect
tuner (ivtv): chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #0
ivtv0: i2c attach to card #0 ok [client=(tuner unset), addr=61]
tveeprom: Second (radio) tuner idx 101
tveeprom: tuner = Samsung TCPN 2121P30A (idx = 87, type = 4)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
ivtv0: Detected a TEA5767 radio tuner. Enabling radio support.
tuner: type set to 4 (NoTuner) by ivtv i2c driver #0
tuner (ivtv): chip found at addr 0xc2 i2c-bus ivtv i2c driver #1
ivtv1: i2c attach to card #1 ok [client=(tuner unset), addr=61]
tveeprom: Second (radio) tuner idx 101
tveeprom: tuner = Samsung TCPN 2121P30A (idx = 87, type = 4)
tveeprom: tuner fmt = NTSC(M) (eeprom = 0x08, v4l2 = 0x00001000)
tuner: type set to 4 (NoTuner) by ivtv i2c driver #1
root at mythtv:/etc/sysconfig#

Any help appreciated.

-Maury