[mythtv-users] Help with xorg.conf

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 20 20:14:08 EST 2005

Allan Wilson wrote:

> Why is it not a true 1280p?

It's 1080p, not 1280p.  As in 1920x1080 pixels--versus 720p, which has
1280x720 pixels.  And, when I say, "It's 1080p," I mean to include your
Sony KDS-R60XBR1 as well as the name of the standard.

> Do you have a recommendation on a scaler and what role do they play?
>
> It looks like there is different modelines depending on what you are
> watching? How do you know which ones to pick out of the list? If I
> pick the right modeline will it make my desktop take up the entire
> screen? I am using the nVidia GeForce4 MX 4000, why will it make it
> tougher to push 1280i?
>
> I looked at my log file, Xorg.0.log, and could not find my EDID
> information but I did find where it was trying to setup the resolution:
>
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1280x720" (no mode of this name)
> (WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "960x540p" (not a valid TV mode)
> (**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for display device TV-0:
> (**) NVIDIA(0):      Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
> (**) NVIDIA(0):      Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1
> Hz (D)
> (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480

You should not be using TV modes.  Your TV is just a glorified monitor.
Set it up just like you would any other monitor for a desktop.  And,
don't use S-Video or composite out.  Check out avsforum.com for details
(start with
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=b093c16ad47d82d4c2e75f3ff6cff7fc&t=584936&page=1&pp=30
--the answer you need is probably in the 4902 posts that are currently
there).

> The two modes it would not pick up where two that I was playing with.
>
> Thanks for the help I am very confused on getting the best out of my
> TV. I don't blame you on waiting, I was using an old 32" TV for my
> main tv viewing and trying to hold out for the prices to go out on the
> 1280p but the TV started to go out and I couldn't wait any longer. I
> have to admit I am pretty happy with the purchase so far. I may not
> have the same story a year from now.

I got a Samsung HL-R6768W (67" 1080p TV), because I was waiting for real
high-def TV's (not 720p "medium-def" TV's).  Like you, I'm happy with my
purchase.

Mike