[mythtv-users] Help with xorg.conf

Allan Wilson allanwilson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 13:50:22 EST 2005

Why is it not a true 1280p?

Do you have a recommendation on a scaler and what role do they play?

It looks like there is different modelines depending on what you are
watching? How do you know which ones to pick out of the list? If I pick the
right modeline will it make my desktop take up the entire screen? I am using
the nVidia GeForce4 MX 4000, why will it make it tougher to push 1280i?

I looked at my log file, Xorg.0.log, and could not find my EDID information
but I did find where it was trying to setup the resolution:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1280x720" (no mode of this name)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "960x540p" (not a valid TV mode)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Validated modes for display device TV-0:
(**) NVIDIA(0):      Default mode "640x480": 25.2 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(**) NVIDIA(0):      Default mode "320x240": 12.6 MHz, 31.5 kHz, 60.1 Hz (D)
(II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480

The two modes it would not pick up where two that I was playing with.

Thanks for the help I am very confused on getting the best out of my TV. I
don't blame you on waiting, I was using an old 32" TV for my main tv viewing
and trying to hold out for the prices to go out on the 1280p but the TV
started to go out and I couldn't wait any longer. I have to admit I am
pretty happy with the purchase so far. I may not have the same story a year
from now.

Allan