[mythtv-users] Re: mythtv-users Digest, Vol 34, Issue 96

Jason Sharpe mythtv.list at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 14:30:05 EST 2005

> Message: 25
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 12:39:27 -0600
> From: Brandon Stoll <mrmagoo at mrmagoo.org>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] 2 Backends, 1 backend use the serial port
>        of the other?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 12/19/05, Jason Sharpe <mythtv.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> >  I am 98% done with my mythtv whole house setup! I have learned alot and
> > look forward to tweaking this sucker out!
> >
> >  I have 2 standalone backends, the master has a DCT3200 via firewire and
> > HD-3000 (OTA) in it. Both inputs working pretty flawlessly (knock on
> wood).
> > I intend to have the master hold all of the recordings from the 2 BEs
> (about
> > 1TB in the master so that should be enough for now)
> >
> >  I wanted to setup a slave BE to do all the transcoding, Comm flagging,
> > nuvexport etc so the master BE can focus on recording. I find that 80%
> of my
> > recordings take place on nights and weekends  along with 100% of the
> viewing
> > at the same time so why not let the slave do the other tasks while the
> > master is hard at work recording and serving to the frontends.
> >
> >  One of the last steps of this entire project is turning off the TiVo
> (YAY!)
> > and moving my DishNetwork receiver onto myth. I have read of the
> headaches
> > of getting a HD-3000 (using DVB drivers) and a PVR-250 working in the
> same
> > box so I installed a PVR-250 into the slave BE.
> >
> >  To start, I am not running LIRC on any frontend or backend for remote
> > control use. I have PS/2 IR keyboards and learning remotes to make it
> easy.
> > (that way I can whip out the IR keyboard and use it to browse the
> web/email
> > when I I don't want to fire up my laptop.)
> >
> >  I have a serial IR blaster from www.irblaster.info that I need to use
> > control the DishNetwork box. My issue is that the slave BE does not have
> > serial port on it. However my master BE sits right next to the slave and
> it
> > does have a serial port. I have LIRC working on the master and blasting
> > correctly using /dev/lircd.
> >
> >  Being a linux newbie I am probly asking a basic question, but with the
> > PVR-250 in my slave BE is there a way to have my slave BE use the serial
> > port on my master BE to blast to control the DishNetwork box?
> >
> >  Again being a newbie I tried NFS just for fun and when I tried to mount
> > /dev/lircd on the slave it it failed, but I didn't expect it to work
> (exact
> > error was "mount: 192.168.1.50:/dev/lircd failed, reason given by
> server:
> > Not a directory")
> >
> >  I have a USB to Serial dongle that I could use, but from what I have
> read,
> [...]

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said there is no documentation on the
networking feature of LIRC.

I thought I had everything working, the slave reported that it connected to
the master in the log, the master's log showed that it accepted the slave's
connection. But I couldn't get anything to pass properly to the master....I
spent a few hours last night searching and testing, but with no luck.
(however I am a Linux newbie, so it EASILY could have been me..:)

I will just figure something else out!

Thanks to everyone who replied with ideas!

Jason