[mythtv-users] Anyone in Regina, Sask, Canada for a little advice?

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Dec 20 14:25:32 EST 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 10:40:54 -0600, Robert Johnston wrote:

>I'm here, using Access Communications cable, and I'd like to know if
>anyone else here is using a Digital card (HD3000/Air2PC/something
>else) to recieve Access' "Digital" service (As all I have here at the
>moment are a pair of PVR-250's picking up the "Basic" cable, and if I
>have to use something like FireWire (And so have lots of boxes
>clogging up my already full entertainment unit) I'd rather not bother.
>
>I'm more interested in going with the Digital for the HD and the lack of noise.
>
>Anyone here want to stand up and give me some advice here? I'm not
>sure what system Access uses for their cable, and how much is
>broadcast over the line in the clear (Especially as we're in Canada,
>and FCC regs don't apply)

Yes, instead we have to idiots of the CRTC to deal with!

Check out my post from earlier today, and follow the links. Basically,
ensure you have the correct modules loaded, get/use the dvbscan utils from
linuxtv.org to scan your cable for active feeds. Check the feeds with
azap, cat > and mplayer.
Extract the serviceid's and insert into mythconverg.

Bake at 325 for 2 hours, serve with whipped cream.

More seriously, if Access has any digital channels (check their web site)
then the dvbscan will find them. Thereafter its a picky little process of
extracting bits of info from various places and poking the bits into other
places.

But it does work! I'm watching at least a dozen different QAM256 feeds
from Rogers Cable in Toronto using an HD3000 card. I'm still in the
process of testing some of the channels, and attempting to add some
more...Unfortunately, it appears the CRTC mandates that  I get 8 different
timeshifted feeds of CBC from St. Johns to Vancouver...and I never watch
CBC anyway!

Geoff

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638