Nvidia dropped xv hardware scaling? WAS: (Re: [mythtv-users] Video card recommendation for 24" LCD (1920x1200))

Isaac Richards ijr at case.edu
Mon Dec 19 20:46:17 EST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 20:32, Alex wrote:
> On 12/19/05, Andy Leung <angelflow at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Well that is starnge. This msg specifically stated
> > that 6600 no longer support xv hardware scaling:
> >
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2005/08/msg00205.html
> >
> > Anyone knows what's the real scope here?
>
> That states the overlay has gone away.  I do know the Window Vista
> eliminates the overlay programming model in lieu of compositing.  Other
> graphics hardware will loose the overlay function in the future.
>
> I don't know what the XV structure requires, but HW scaling is not limited
> to overlay support.  It can be in a different place in the pipe.

Right.  The biggest thing that doesn't work anymore on newer cards is xawtv in
overlay mode, but anything that wants to do stuff with the video
(deinterlace, etc) runs in capture mode, not overlay.

Hardware scaling works fine, and it's worked fine each time this has come up
on this list, with people pasting the same completely wrong information from
that mailing list post. =)

Color control adjustments (brightness/contrast/etc) are nonexistant currently
on the newer cards, but since those can be done in other ways, I'd assume
they'll be back eventually.

Isaac