[mythtv-users] send additional command to STB

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 20:32:48 EST 2005

On 19/12/05, p.beard at blueyonder.co.uk <p.beard at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've set up Mythtv on my bedroom pc. I use a AV sender to enable it to
> receive cable from my livingroom STB. All works ok. It can change channel
> via a blaster.
> I do have one problem though. Sometimes my provider will put a message up
> on the screen. In normal use you have to press 'ok' to close the message
> before you can change channel.
> I'm using the remote that came with my Hauppauge PVR-150 to control
> MythTV. The blaster then uses Philips RC6 commands to send to the STB
> downstairs.
> Is there a way I can use a button on the Hauppauge remote, that when
> pressed will cause the blaster to send the Philips 'OK' command.

Sure you can. (If pressing OK when there is nothing on-screen that
needs clearing, you could also hardcode it into your channel change
script - make it the first item with a suitable pause). Here's how I
would do it:

i) Write a modified channelchange-type script hardcoding the OK button
from the STB config in your lircd.conf file
ii) Add irexec to your startup - I just put the script to start it in
ii) Add an entry to your .lircrc file that connects the button you
want to use on your remote, to the script, using irexec to execute it.
For example - I use the following to restart the frontend process if
it crashes:

# Power Button
prog = irexec
button = POWER
repeat = 3
config = /home/mythtv/scripts/mythrestart.sh