[mythtv-users] 2 Backends, 1 backend use the serial port of the other?

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:34:04 EST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 01:26, Jason Sharpe wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am 98% done with my mythtv whole house setup! I have learned alot and
> look forward to tweaking this sucker out!
>
> I have 2 standalone backends, the master has a DCT3200 via firewire and a
> HD-3000 (OTA) in it. Both inputs working pretty flawlessly (knock on wood).
> I intend to have the master hold all of the recordings from the 2 BEs
> (about 1TB in the master so that should be enough for now)
>
> I wanted to setup a slave BE to do all the transcoding, Comm flagging,
> nuvexport etc so the master BE can focus on recording. I find that 80% of
> my recordings take place on nights and weekends  along with 100% of the
> viewing at the same time so why not let the slave do the other tasks while
> the master is hard at work recording and serving to the frontends.
>
> One of the last steps of this entire project is turning off the TiVo (YAY!)
> and moving my DishNetwork receiver onto myth. I have read of the headaches
> of getting a HD-3000 (using DVB drivers) and a PVR-250 working in the same
> box so I installed a PVR-250 into the slave BE.
>
> To start, I am not running LIRC on any frontend or backend for remote
> control use. I have PS/2 IR keyboards and learning remotes to make it easy.
> (that way I can whip out the IR keyboard and use it to browse the web/email
> when I I don't want to fire up my laptop.)
>
> I have a serial IR blaster from www.irblaster.info that I need to use to
> control the DishNetwork box. My issue is that the slave BE does not have a
> serial port on it. However my master BE sits right next to the slave and it
> does have a serial port. I have LIRC working on the master and blasting
> correctly using /dev/lircd.
>
> Being a linux newbie I am probly asking a basic question, but with the
> PVR-250 in my slave BE is there a way to have my slave BE use the serial
> port on my master BE to blast to control the DishNetwork box?
>
> Again being a newbie I tried NFS just for fun and when I tried to mount
> /dev/lircd on the slave it it failed, but I didn't expect it to work (exact
> error was "mount: 192.168.1.50:/dev/lircd failed, reason given by server:
> Not a directory")
>
> I have a USB to Serial dongle that I could use, but from what I have read,
> that wouldn't work with the blaster I have and with LIRC. (or am I wrong?)
>
> I guess the last resort would be to put the HD-3000 in the slave BE and the
> PVR-250 in the master, but with an hour of HD using 8gig, I figure it would
> be best to leave it in the master so the slave doesn't have to try to push
> that large amount of data over the network to store it on the master.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
> Jason

I've got a HD3000 and PVR150 working flawlessly on my machine. I'm using the
DVB drivers for the HD3000 since I only care about digital channels.
I imagine running an HD3000 with a PVR500 would work as well.

Good luck getting it all working.

As well, could you respond to me off list which firewire chipset your using,
whether you compiled the required firewire libraries from source, what
versions of the libraries your using, and a guess as to your success rate in
channel changing and capturing? I'm trying to put figure out why some setups
work and some dont.

--
thanks,
Steve