[mythtv-users] 2 Backends, 1 backend use the serial port of the other?

Jason Sharpe mythtv.list at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 09:09:26 EST 2005

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 00:30:31 -0600
> From: Kevin Kuphal < kuphal at dls.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] 2 Backends, 1 backend use the serial port
>        of the  other?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org >
>
> Jason Sharpe wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I am 98% done with my mythtv whole house setup! I have learned alot
> > and look forward to tweaking this sucker out!
> >
> > I have 2 standalone backends, the master has a DCT3200 via firewire
> > and a HD-3000 (OTA) in it. Both inputs working pretty flawlessly
> > (knock on wood). I intend to have the master hold all of the
> > recordings from the 2 BEs (about 1TB in the master so that should be
> > enough for now)
> >
> > I wanted to setup a slave BE to do all the transcoding, Comm flagging,
> > nuvexport etc so the master BE can focus on recording. I find that 80%
> > of my recordings take place on nights and weekends  along with 100% of
> > the viewing at the same time so why not let the slave do the other
> > tasks while the master is hard at work recording and serving to the
> > frontends.
> >
> > One of the last steps of this entire project is turning off the TiVo
> > (YAY!) and moving my DishNetwork receiver onto myth. I have read of
> > the headaches of getting a HD-3000 (using DVB drivers) and a PVR-250
> > working in the same box so I installed a PVR-250 into the slave BE.
> >
> > To start, I am not running LIRC on any frontend or backend for remote
> > control use. I have PS/2 IR keyboards and learning remotes to make it
> > easy. (that way I can whip out the IR keyboard and use it to browse
> > the web/email when I I don't want to fire up my laptop.)
> >
> > I have a serial IR blaster from www.irblaster.info
> > <http://www.irblaster.info> that I need to use to control the
> > DishNetwork box. My issue is that the slave BE does not have a serial
> > port on it. However my master BE sits right next to the slave and it
> > does have a serial port. I have LIRC working on the master and
> > blasting correctly using /dev/lircd.
> >
> > Being a linux newbie I am probly asking a basic question, but with the
> > PVR-250 in my slave BE is there a way to have my slave BE use the
> > serial port on my master BE to blast to control the DishNetwork box?
> >
> > Again being a newbie I tried NFS just for fun and when I tried to
> > mount /dev/lircd on the slave it it failed, but I didn't expect it to
> > work (exact error was "mount: 192.168.1.50:/dev/lircd failed, reason
> > given by server: Not a directory")
> >
> > I have a USB to Serial dongle that I could use, but from what I have
> > read, that wouldn't work with the blaster I have and with LIRC. (or am
> > I wrong?)
> >
> > I guess the last resort would be to put the HD-3000 in the slave BE
> > and the PVR-250 in the master, but with an hour of HD using 8gig, I
> > figure it would be best to leave it in the master so the slave doesn't
> [...]

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately I am out of slots. It is a MicroATX mobo
and it only has 2 PCI slots. I have the nic and PVR-250 in it so they are
full.

I was hoping I could someone allow the slave access to the serial port on
the master, install LIRC on the slave, and then config it to use that
device. I thought it was a long shot, but I thought it was good to ask
before I spent more money.

Can one recommend an easy to setup USB IR Blaster? or have any more ideas?

Thanks!

Jason