[mythtv-users] high cpu load with nvidia fx5700LE and pvr500

Rick van der Mieden mieden8 at zonnet.nl
Sun Dec 18 03:20:15 EST 2005

Hi All,

I've got a very high cpu load (about 90%) when I use LiveTV or when I watch
video. I don't think this should be normal.

Here's my setup:

P4-3,0

Hauppauge Pvr500

Nvidia FX5700LE

Gentoo 2.6.14-gentoo-r2

Output of lsmod (only the important ones)

Module                  Size  Used by

nvidia               4084336  0

lirc_imon              14212  0

lirc_dev               14212  1 lirc_imon

firmware_class          9088  1 cx25840

tuner                  24736  0

tveeprom               13740  0

ivtv                  220052  0

videodev                8448  1 ivtv

i2c_algo_pca            6660  0

i2c_algo_pcf            8068  0

i2c_dev                 8960  0

sata_sx4               12676  0

sata_sis                6400  0

s2io                   52364  0

Installed nvidia stuff:

*  media-gfx/nvidia-cg-toolkit

      Latest version installed: 1.2.0402.1900

*  media-video/nvidia-glx

      Latest version installed: 1.0.8174-r1

*  media-video/nvidia-kernel

      Latest version installed: 1.0.8174-r1

*  media-video/nvidia-settings

      Latest version installed: 1.0.6629

I installed the nvidia drivers downloaded from the nvidia site and I do see
the nvidia logo at startup of X

I'm using kde for X and my PVR500 seems to work ok.

But I really don't like the quallity of the picture. It's by far not as good
as it is on my normal tv. It's a bit flickering (like the picture can't
catch up with the movements) and not completely sharp).

Below my xorg.conf:

satie ~ # cat xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"

        Identifier     "X.org Configured"

        Screen         "Screen0" 0 0

        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

EndSection

Section "Module"

        Load  "extmod"

        Load  "dbe"

        Load  "record"

        Load  "v4l"

        Load  "xtrap"

        Load  "glx"

        Load  "type1"

        Load  "freetype"

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

        Identifier   "Monitor1"

        VendorName   "Philips"

        ModelName    "NEC FE700"

        HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5

        VertRefresh  40 - 70

EndSection

Section "Monitor"

        Identifier   "Monitor0"

        HorizSync    30.0 - 68.0

        VertRefresh  50.0 - 120.0

        Gamma        1.21

        ModeLine     "720x576" 42.6 720 760 832 944 576 577 580 602 -hsync
-vsync

EndSection

Section "Device"

        Identifier  "Videocard0"

        Driver      "nvidia"

        VendorName  "Peak"

        BoardName   "nVidia GeRorce FX5700 LE"

        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

        # TV Out Setup

        Option      "DigitalVibrance" "0"

        Option      "OpenGLOverlay" "off"

        Option      "VideoOverlay" "on"

        Option      "TVStandard" "PAL-B"

        Option      "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

        Option      "TVOverScan" "0.6"

EndSection

Section "Screen"

        Identifier "Screen0"

        Device     "Videocard0"

        Monitor    "Monitor0"

        DefaultDepth 24

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     1

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     4

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     8

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     15

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth     16

        EndSubSection

        SubSection "Display"

                Viewport   0 0

                Depth    16

        EndSubSection

EndSection

I'm using a 100HZ Philips TV (PAL-B, as I live in the Netherlands) and make
use of Svideo-out of the nvidia FX5700.

Is there anybody who can help me out here Is their something wrong in my
configuration (it's always something stupid I forgot)? Is their a mythsetup
parameter I have to think off? What CPU load do you have with watching
LiveTV? What kind of quallity can I expect with this kind of settup? Please
let me know if you need some more info.

Regards,

Rick