[mythtv-users] nuvexport and ffmpeg-CVS

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 21:18:58 EST 2005

On 12/17/05, John Andersen <jsamyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/17/05, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yea, I got it to finally work by installing transcode from source
> > rather than the ubuntu package, although I think the error had to do
> > with something else, but I do realize that it's slow as John said.  I
> > kicked off 12 half hour shows last night (12 hours ago), and it's only
> > completed 5 so far.
>
> I exported the same show twice, once with transcode and once
> with ffmpeg, in both cases leaving the resolution the same and
> selecting the defaults.
>
> The output file size is slightly different (350095580 vs 349024640)
> and the transcode version is indeed a little better, but not 5 times
> better.
>
> Thats right it took transcode 3 hours and 45 minutes to
> transcode a 1 hour show, and it took ffmpeg 48 minutes.
>
> Further, the transcoded version has occasional jerkyness in
> the video, (I think there is some playback frame dropping
> happening) on some players, and the video falls behind
> the audio in other players.
>
> This does not happen with ffmpeg.

Well, I wish I could use ffmpeg to do it.  Unfortunantly, ffmpeg
doesn't have stable releases really, they tell you to build off CVS,
and if you want a stable release you have to use on that's over two
years old or perhaps an apt package.

BTW... my process is still running.  10/12 shows done... and it's been 21 hours.