[mythtv-users] nuvexport and ffmpeg-CVS

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 17:51:53 EST 2005

On 12/17/05, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yea, I got it to finally work by installing transcode from source
> rather than the ubuntu package, although I think the error had to do
> with something else, but I do realize that it's slow as John said.  I
> kicked off 12 half hour shows last night (12 hours ago), and it's only
> completed 5 so far.

I exported the same show twice, once with transcode and once
with ffmpeg, in both cases leaving the resolution the same and
selecting the defaults.

The output file size is slightly different (350095580 vs 349024640)
and the transcode version is indeed a little better, but not 5 times
better.

Thats right it took transcode 3 hours and 45 minutes to
transcode a 1 hour show, and it took ffmpeg 48 minutes.

Further, the transcoded version has occasional jerkyness in
the video, (I think there is some playback frame dropping
happening) on some players, and the video falls behind
the audio in other players.

This does not happen with ffmpeg.