[mythtv-users] RE: Configuring SPDIF digital out.

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:15:35 EST 2005

On 18/12/05, Johan Kihlström <johan.kihlstrom at bredband.net> wrote:
> I have a similar setup as above and just did aplay somesoundfile.wav and
> it went out the right way(through spdif into SurroundrReciever)
>
> A lot of hours compiling an googling felt very worthwhile at that point.
> Now if only I could get Xine to output to spdif instead of crashing...

Johan,

When I got xine working with my SPDIF output, the only lines I needed
to check (in ~/.xine/config) were:

# device used for stereo output
audio.device.alsa_front_device:default

# pass through to SPDIF
audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Pass Through

My default PCM device is my SPDIF output (configured using Mike Dean
excellent Digital Sound HOWTO), after specifying the speaker option,
everything worked immediately, and my blue Dolby Digital light lit up
as soon as I played a DVD.

The other SPDIF related entries were OK left at their defaults:

#audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device:iec958:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2
#audio.device.alsa_surround51_device:plug:surround51:0

Do you get any errors when xine crashes?

Nick