[mythtv-users] Some questions regarding ATI Radeon drivers and overscanning

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 19:18:03 EST 2005

On 17/12/05, Ole Andre Schistad <oschista at chello.no> wrote:
> Hello all, first post to the mailing list but a user of 6 months.
>
> I have a working mythtv system that I recently acquired a cheap
> powercolor radeon 9250 card for. The TVout is amazingly clear, using an
> SVHS to SCART cable, but the overscan (or lack thereof) leaves something
> to be desired.
>
> First of all, there seems to be a bug in many of ATIs driver releases
> that totally prevents the card from overscanning at all - the
> fireglcontrolpanel application has no effect whatsoever on the screen
> size. This applies (as far as I've seen) to all releases since 8.16 of
> their xorg driver. Wether it also applies to the regular XFree86 package
> is unknown.
>
> Secondly, even in those driver releases where the fireglcontrolpanel can
> modify the image, the Xserver is ignoring the settings in the config
> when it loads. Only after I fire up the control panel application does
> the screen adjust to the preset overscan values - which clearly is not
> how things ought to work
>
> Since I refuse to believe that this is how it's supposed to be, I'm
> hoping for some feedback from other ATI users on the list who
> (hopefully) have a working setup.
>
> My own system runs on the following config;
>
> Gentoo 2005.1
> Xorg 6.8.2-r2
> Framebuffer in kernel, using standard vga driver
> kernelversjon 2.6.12-6 (gentoo-sources)
> Motherboard: EPoX 8HMMI-A (VIA K8M800 chipset, mATX formfactor)
>
> ATI drivers tested: 8.8.25, 8.14.13, 8.16.20, 8.18.8 & 8.20.8
>
> It would be very helful if you could please post your own config if you
> are able to adjust overscan and have it stick.

I'm running fglrx 8.12.10 on my onboard Radeon 9100IGP chip (Pundit-R)
and have the following in my xorg.conf:

# === TV-out Management ===
    Option "NoTV"                       "no"
    Option "TVStandard"                 "PAL-I"
    Option "TVHSizeAdj"                 "-26"
    Option "TVVSizeAdj"                 "0"
    Option "TVHPosAdj"                  "22"
    Option "TVVPosAdj"                  "0"
    Option "TVHStartAdj"                "-6"
    Option "TVColorAdj"                 "0"

My Xorg.0.log file has the following entries where the above lines
seem to be followed:

(**) fglrx(0): Option "NoTV" "no"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVStandard" "PAL-I"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVHSizeAdj" "-26"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVVSizeAdj" "0"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVHPosAdj" "22"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVVPosAdj" "0"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVHStartAdj" "-6"
(**) fglrx(0): Option "TVColorAdj" "0"

Do have have these entries in your xorg.conf file?

TV-Out is great and the overscan settings are honoured. This was the
first version of the driver that fixed TV-Out for the 9100IGP, so I've
not yet upgraded (I may have to as I'm going to upgrade the systems
from FC2 to FC4 over Christmas (after most of the movies and specials
I'm recording have been on...)

Nick