[mythtv-users] Building first MythTV back end box...

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 03:59:00 EST 2005

On 12/16/05, Kirk Grell <kirkgrell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You guys are awesome!!  Thanks for helping me with
> this.
>
> I'll definitely go with the 150 (probably the MCE
> version).  Smaller board, less heat, cheaper, easier
> to setup, yet good quality.  And It didn't even dawn
> on me that I'd be using the S-Video input on the card
> instead of the tuner.  Duh.  :)
>
> Thanks again for your help!
>
> Just thought of a couple of more questions.
>
> 1) How does the audio work on the PVR150 in MythTV.
> Would the audio outputs on the receiver go to the
> audio inputs on the 150 or to the audio input of the
> sound card?

I think you want to go to the 150, so that its hardware
would be doing all the syncing, but to be quite frank
the ivtv list would know this better than I do.  I only
use the tuner portion of the card.

> 2) In a Shuttle XPC case running at 3Ghz with the
> other components mentioned in my original post, would
> bumping the hard drive from 200G to 300G be a cause
> for concern regarding both heat and the power
> requirements?  The Shuttle case only has a 250W power
> supply.

I'm thinking that the chances of a 300gig drive pulling
more power than a 200gig are pretty small.

Further, I would suspect you can put any drive you can fit
into there without a power supply problem.  250 is plenty.

I have this case which also only has a 250, and it does
just fine with TWO hard drives.

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/slim_pc/slm/pro_slm_detail.php?UID=547

(oh, regarding the Mega 865 in above link:  Don't Buy!

Nice compact case, has all the inputs and outputs you
need,  But way too noisy.