[mythtv-users] Slave Tuner not used ?

John Andersen jsamyth at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:15:13 EST 2005

On 12/15/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
>
> >Ok, I don't get it,,,
> >
> >I set up a second backend with a tuner, and got that all running
> >just fine.  Can watch live TV while another show is recording,
> >can watch PIP etc.
> >
> >Today I was watching live TV at the Master (using the master's
> >tuner), when a scheduled recording came due.
> >
> >It popped up and asked me the three choices,
> >(exit, watch+Record, skip)
> >and when I did not respond it arbitrarily chose watch+record, and
> >took me from the program I was watching to the one that
> >was due to record.
> >
> >Why?
> >
> >Why didn't it record using the Slave while I watched
> >what I wanted at the Master?
> >

> Avoid conflicts between live TV and scheduled shows.
> If enabled, live TV will choose a tuner card that is less likely to have
> scheduled recordings rather than the best card available.

It dawned on me after I sent this that it might be this switch.

I had specifically turned it off due to advice on this list.

I had asked why myth chose a remote tuner when I was
watching tv at the Master, (therby flooding my network with the
myth traffic).  (Worse, if someone sits at that slave and
decides to watch tv you have double the traffic, each
frontend being served by the other backend:  That's insane!)

I was told that regardless of the label on that avoid conflict
switch what it really means choose a LESS LIKELY to
have a conflict with recording FOR WATCHING LIVE TV.

Nothing gave any hint that a RECORDING would not be
able to resolve a conflict and choose a different tuner
when one was busy.

So turning it off, allowed me to view with the local tuner.

But I had not expected that this would mean that ALL
conflicts would require MANUAL resolution.  Since
the local tuner is in use, why would it not see that
there is already a conflict and it must select a different
tuner at record time?

It seems to me that there are incompatible uses of the
switch.  First to control Live TV (as documented in
the prompt), and Second to control alternate tuner
selection for recording, which is not mentioned.

These are two incompatible uses of this switch.

  1)  If Set, Myth WILL find an alternate tuner for live TV
       REGARDLESS if there is a conflict or not.

  2)  If not set not set Myth will not choose another tuner
       EVEN if there is a conflict, and EVEN when a tuner is free.

Why would recording be able to select another tuner
when in conflict with recording, but NOT when in conflict
with an already underway Live TV session?

(Come to think of it, I'm not totally sure it even resolves
conflicts in two recordings at the same time).

Couldn't this be best solved by an item in the recording
profile allowing use of any tuner, or requiring a specific
tuner(s)?