[mythtv-users] Out of spec FSB speeds for a P3?

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Thu Dec 15 20:53:49 EST 2005

Hello all,

Have come across a GA-6BXE Slot 1 motherboard from someone and a Slot 1
P3 666MHz at 133MHz FSB from someone else, and I want to use those 2 in
a frontend.  Have found that the Slot 1 motherboard only does 66/100MHz
FSB and will support a maximum of a P3 650MHz at 100MHz FSB.  I thought
I could use the 650MHz setting but I just realised 650MHz at 100MHz FSB
is a 6.5 multipiler setting, while 666MHz at 133MHz FSB is a 5
multipiler setting - of course this might be due to my being outdated on
multipilers (not played with them for years) or being tired, but is it
safe to run the 666MHz/133MHz FSB processor at 650MHz/100MHz FSB at a
higher multipiler?  Or is it best to run the processor at 500MHz/100MHz
FSB at 5 multipiler setting?

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Regards - Piers