[mythtv-users] Xine issues

Peter Osterberg Peter at supergirl.se
Tue Dec 13 14:39:31 EST 2005

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 December 2005 11:28, Mark J. Small wrote:
>
>> On December 13, 2005 08:31 am, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>>
>>> These work for me. -V xshm got rid of my shaky playback. --no-splash
>>> and --no-logo do what they look like they do.
>>>
>>> DVD:
>>> xine -pfhq -V xshm --no-splash --no-logo dvd://%s
>>>
>>> Video:
>>> xine -pfhq -V xshm --no-splash --no-logo %s
>>>
>> Hmmm the xine docs claim that xshm is a lot slower than xv.  Does real
>> world
>> experience say otherwize?
>>

> xshm will use software to scale the video for the current screen size,
> so it will tax your CPU a lot more.  Depending on how much processing
> power you have, it may stutter (or it may not, but will take up a lot
> of CPU).
>
> Any of the hardware-accelerated scaling methods would be better (xv,
> xvmc, opengl, sdl ).  If one is shaky, try another.  At work, I have a
> Nvidia Vanta LT that doesn't like to do Xv really well, but using
> OpenGL output works just fine.
I'll try 'em all. I have a Radeon 9600 and a P4 3GHz so I guess that
performance should be good enough. I only run 800x600 24 bit.

xshm looks like crap in my box, hopefully at least one driver will look
better! It should work since I managed to get rid of this problem when
watching ordinary TV.

Thanks for all the input!