[mythtv-users] how many concurrent recordings possible? in HD?

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 16:52:50 EST 2005

I was recording two HDTV streams at a time (HD3000 and Fusion HDTV
Lite 5) and commercial flagging at the sametime.

I was getting lot of corrupt/bad video when all 3 were happening
simultaneously. It has more to do with IO bottlenecks than cpu/etc.
The %wait was very high, about 80+. Remember that HDTV is recording at
19.2mbps rate vs much lower for PVRs. Check your backend logs and look
for IOBound messages. I am running modified version of 0.18.1 with
modified libs/libmythtv/RingBuffer.cpp which has much higher buffer
size. This was to avoid IOBound issues.

Now I dont do real time commercial flagging. I schedule my own
commercial flagging when the system is not recording. I also dont use
my backend for display.