[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 21:58:29 EST 2005

Franco wrote:

>2) an environment where the signal transmits bad. It may be the walls,
>it may be electromagnetical noise, it may be something else but I'm not
>the only one and you can't tell until you try.

Do you by chance have plaster walls and ceilings?  If so, there is
probably a metal mesh embedded in the plaster that is used to hold it
all together.  That metal mesh works as a pretty darned efficient
farraday sheild, which means you'll only get decent signals in the same
room, and in a line of sight from the door, and nowhere else.  I live in
an older house and have significant dropoffs because of this, but my
house is much smaller, so I can usually still get a surfing quality
(2-5MB) connection from anywhere, but certainly not 54MB.

Anyway, the point is, it is probably your house to blame, and not WiFi.
So maybe you should change the subject to "STAY AWAY FROM OLD HOUSES
WITH PLASTER WALLS AND CEILINGS!".

Jeff.