[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!! DEVOLO PERFORMANCE IS BAD

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 20:12:37 EST 2005

On 12/8/05, Anthony Vito <anthony.vito at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Be aware when speaking in Mbps, this is also used for advertisements, is that it contains
> > the overhead within it.
>
> Oh it's much worse (philsophically) then that. Yes, it contains the
> overhead, but then even with that it would still give great data
> rates. The problem is bigger then that. Transmission over the air just
> isn't that reliable at WiFi's power ratings, top that with the
> insanely crowded 2.4Ghz spectrum, and you have real issues. You'd
> think that would be obvious, apparently not, since Netgear got sued,
> http://www.techworld.com/applications/news/index.cfm?NewsID=4873
> because they didn't print that clear enough on their devices.
>
> Before 802.11g routers even came out, I got a little forward thinking
> going and bought all 802.11a equipment for my wireless network. At
> 5Ghz it shouldn't (in theory) go through walls quite as well, but in
> my real world experience it has always outperformed 802.11g in that
> aspect, and all others. I suspect because of the relatively quite 5ghz
> spectrum. I bought all Netgear equipment, and in their "Turbo Mode" I
> can get a _real_ throughput of 40-50Mbps through a single (normal
> house) wall.
>
> Here's to watching MythTV recordings over WiFi-802.11a since 2002!!!!

Remember that all bandwidth values are quoted as being in MegaBits, so
divide the value by 8 to get the true MegaByte value.

Also remember to take off 10% (Roughly) for overhead.

And (Unless coverage is especially spotty) 802.11x is full-duplex, not
half-duplex (as I saw posted here earlier).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston