[mythtv-users] HDTV questions

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 19:49:10 EST 2005

I'll try my best here to answer what I can....

<i>1) How is HDTV connected? Looking at the specs for the TV we're thinking
of
there's Composite (AV), Y/C (S-Video), ANT (RF), Component (Y/Pb/Pr) and
SCART (which you don't have in the US).</i>

Equipment in the US can only transmit decoded HDTV over Component (Y/Pb/Pr),
D-sub/VGA (RGBHV), and DVI/HDMI (digital).

However, equipment available in the US can't do anything other than NTSC
(480i) over composite, and you are saying you can do 1024x768 over
composite, so things may be different.

<i>2) Will the MX440 be powerful enough or will I need a newer card?</i>

Probably, if you get an HDTV mintor with a VGA input.

<i>3) Am I likely to need more processing power (I've got a 3GHz P4 in
another
box I could swap over if need be but would I need more than that).</i>

No.

<i>5) Am I just wasting my time? </I>

Yes.

<i>Seeing as the recordings (for probably at
_least_ 8 months until HDTV actually gets here) would still be in SDTV would
I even notice any difference?</i>

No.