[mythtv-users] MythPhone compatibility

David Rudder drig at noses.org
Thu Dec 8 12:56:49 EST 2005

MythPhone is based on SIP, which is a standard for VoIP.  It appears to
use the G711 codec for audio, which is totally standard and should be
supported by pretty much every SIP compatible voip phone out there.  I
*think* the video codec is H263, which is also pretty standard.

There's a Java project called Sip-Communicator.  It's a software VoIP
phone.  It does video and audio.  I've used it for debugging on my
application, which uses voice only, but the mailing lists report good
success w/ video.  You might want to download it, install it on a spare
machine, and see if you can get  a good connection.

I'm pretty sure, but not being a windows guy I can't be certain, that
NetMeeting uses a different protocol which SIP is not compatible with.
You'll have to find other software.  Sip-Communicator is a bear to
setup, but easy to use once configured, and might not be a terrible option.

-Dave