[mythtv-users] frontend

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 12:07:13 EST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 10:52, Chris wrote:
> > > I'm going to build a new frondend machine. What would be the way to
> > > go.
> > > PVR 350 with tvout or just use the vga out. Suggestions for a nice
> > > quiet
> > > vga card ?
> > >
> > > I'm connecting it to an lcd tv that has both VGA and s-video inputs
> >
> > Well, I suppose two questions have to be asked here:
> >
> > 1.) What kind of TV is this front-end being hooked up to? High-Def,
> > or Standard Def?
>
> no HD
>
> > 2.) Do you plan on going to High-Def any time soon?
>
> I've no plans
>
> > 3.) Do you want to do anything more than just playback on this front-
> > end?
>
> just playback, i've got enough pc's :-))
> has to be queit (i think even diskless)
>
> Chris

use a PVR350 for tv output then. Since you don't plan on doing any gaming,
etc. that requires a GPU of sorts then the 350's tv output will be fine.

in order to use the tuner on the 350 with Myth you'll need to set up this
front end as a slave backend. If you don't plan on using a tuner on this
frontend then just find a cheap nvidia card with TV-out (XvMC enabled if
requried by cpu limitations) instead.

--
Steve