[mythtv-users] STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI !!!

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Thu Dec 8 11:22:46 EST 2005

I've heard that in some countries people have a 3rd option for their
broadband Internet connection.  From their ELECTRIC COMPANY!  having 3
options in a marketplace is the key to delivering great products and
great prices to consumers.  I only hope this catches on in the US.

Also, you have to be careful with this kind of network because it can be
accessed by anyone on your side of the transformer.  You have to apply
the same security concerns to this as you would a WiFi network.  You
could get exploited if you treat it like a traditional wired network
thinking that someone can get on your network without getting into your
home.

I'm actually hoping to look into this solution to create a semi-WAN
between my home and my in-laws home across the cul de sac.  If I can get
good enough speeds, I'm going to try to share my MythTV backend with them.

Franco wrote:
> Hello,
>
> just wanted to tell everybody that now I have a working
> network at home so I can start experimenting with
> multiple frontend/backend configuration.
>
> PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM WI-FI.
>
> Even though I had read a message of another user who was warning about
> terrible and useless struggling with it - I had to try it the same
> as I couldn't lay additional cables in my home.
> I just have to confirm that I have uselessly spent lot of
> time, money and blood and sleepless nights for more than one year
> without getting an usable network.
>
> At the end a friend suggested me the "devolo" adapter
> http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsethernet.html
> and it magically gave me a working WIRED network based on the existing
> electricity cables.
>
> Even though the claimed 85 Mbps are not met, I now have an honest
> WIRED network with a reliable, constant, robust actual 10+ Mbps throughput
> allowing me to to all I need.
>
> The 811.g wi-fi claimed 54 Mbps but actually resulted
> in less than 1 Mbps (in the best case) and was not reliable
> at all... the link was up for 5 seconds and then down for 30 seconds,
> when I was lucky!
>
> Hope this will save some people from the terrible pain that me,
> and others, have experimented.
>
> Franco

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.