[mythtv-users] Channel number assignment by mythbackend

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Thu Dec 8 00:16:25 EST 2005

On Wed, 07 Dec 05 17:23:04 -0500
"R. Geoffrey Newbury" <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> I was under the impression that the numbers etc returned by atscscan (the
> [01af] or [000a] at the beginning of the line, were the "names" given by
> the broadcaster (that is, the scan parses them out of the stream as it
> does for the video and audio id's. And the channel numbers might actually
> be that high if this was a cable scan. As far as i can tell the channel
> *numbers* in a cable broadcast need bear no relationship to the normal
> "channel and frequency increasing together" structure we are used to. I
> have been doing cable scans and finding lots of audio-only QAM streams.
> And the zap2it guide shows these with numbers into the 700's!

I would understand if atscscan was showing channel "names" of the form
[xxxx], but they are mostly the actual ASCII-character channel names
(like KTVU-DT and such).

The other piece of information is that I am using an antenna for OTA
scan and not QAM.

It is a real pain because, mythfilldatabase can't find any data for the
channel numbers that mythtv-setup found.

--
Mitko Haralanov
voidtrance at comcast dot net