[mythtv-users] Is there any ordering dependency between transcoding and commflagging?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Dec 7 23:31:59 EST 2005

In 0.18.1:

I'd like to do commflagging and transcoding from MEGP2->MPEG4.
I was originally thinking that I needed to commflag first, then
transcode, but the behavior of Myth when I try (it does both at
once, or tries to), makes me wonder if I need to worry about this
ordering at all.

So does commflagging care if it flags an MPEG2 stream but then gets
used on an MPEG4 stream?  Is its cutlist still going to be as accurate?
Is it more efficient to run it on one kind of file or the other?  Or
should I not care and just let both happen on the same file at the
same time and everything will just work fine?

Thanks...

P.S.  Note that I'm -not- automatically cutting during the transcode,
and probably won't unless I have more assurance that commflagging is
accurate for the things I'm recording (and it seems way wrong for a
lot of the US network shows I've tried it on, which is interesting---
I'm using "All" for its settings and I'm surprised its performance
seems so haphazard given that everyone else seems to have no problems
with it...).  So since I'm not automatically cutting, it's not going
to save any transcoding time if I commflag first, for instance.  Tnx.