[mythtv-users] Live TV with knoppixmyth liveCD

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 13:33:11 EST 2005

On 12/7/05, Angel Gabriel <angelisonline at gmail.com> wrote:
> If I am to understand this correctly, in any myth setup, from one machine to
> 50 machines, any type of input signal, needs to go through a backend?

Yes. In short, the BE manages tuner/recording devices and maintains
the MySQL database. The FE displays recordings made on the BE, or
plays whatever media through the MythTV Plugins -- MythVideo,
MythMusic, etc. The FE and BE have to talk to each other for any of
the TV functions to work.

Without a BE, there is no way for MythTV to record anything or to
maintain a db. There is no way to 'pass through' a TV signal -- it has
to be encoded and written to disk, then decoded and displayed.