[mythtv-users] XVMC Support for Intel 810

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 00:26:46 EST 2005

If I remember correctly,   the Intel 810/815 chips don't support the full
MPEG2 acceleration capabilities.

XvMC supports offload of MPEG2 Motion Compensation (which is the "MC" in
XvMC) and iDCT (inverse Discrete Cosine Transform).   iDCT is the more CPU
intensive component of the two.   But, I think the i810 only offloads the
MC.   So, you probably won't get much boost out of XvMC on that platform.

A Google search turn up this page, which talks about the capapilities of
various cards with DxVA, the Windows equivalent to XvMC:
http://www.elecard.com/technology/dxva.shtml    (Note that it doesn't
include the newer NVidia GeForce 4MX or GeForce FX cards, which support full
iDCT offload in Linux.)