[mythtv-users] remote-controlled mythfrontend?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Sat Dec 3 03:05:05 EST 2005

    Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:25:16 -0500
    From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>

    You should execute it as the same user running X.

Oh duh!  I -told- you I was being dumb. :)  Thanks.

Yeah, doing that (and either inhibiting X forwarding or undoing it)
worked just fine.   mplayer plays video over the mythfrontend menu.
(I may have to diddle around with what -size- it tries to render
to, but hopefully that won't be too much of a pain and hopefully
the xv inside ivtv can scale fast enough on this AMD 2800+.  I'm
running ivitv 0.4.1 [not .0 'cause I'm debugging an audio issue
right now].)

I presume I'll have to loop the 350's audio outputs through my
motherboard's soundcard and use the mobo soundcard output as the
output to the TV to hear any audio, since mplayer has no idea what a
350 is and hence isn't routing audio to it... :)  I'll have to dig up
some appropriate connectors to test that, and unclick the appropriate
setting in mythfrontend or mythtv-setup [whichever one it is].

Now it'll just take a little bit of scripting magic to do what I want
to do with mythweb, but it should be feasible, and I don't have to
worry about the frontend at all.  Thanks!

P.S.  Watching video through the 350 -and- playing video on top of it
with mplayer leads to bizarre and interesting results, but at least
nothing wedges or hangs; it just looks peculiar.  Not surprisingly.