[mythtv-users] remote-controlled mythfrontend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Dec 3 02:25:16 EST 2005

On 12/03/05 00:43, f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

>    Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 17:35:10 -0500
>    From: Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com>
>
>    If you don't need the myth interface, something along the lines of typing
>    "mplayer filename" should get the job done.
>
>That's a fascinating idea.  I'm not sure it'll work, though.  I'm
>displaying the output via the TVout of a PVR-350, and I'm not sure
>that the frontend isn't holding the card in some weird state

no

>that
>would prevent something else from streaming an mpeg to its decoder,

MPlayer won't use the decoder, it will play through Xv (if you have a
recent enough version of ivtv properly installed; otherwise, you don't
want to do this).

>which was why I wanted to do it through the frontend itself.  If that
>doesn't matter, then that makes life easier.

Doesn't matter--as long as your system is properly installed.

>But I can't test it, because I have a second problem:  I just noticed
>that I can't seem to get anything X to work remotely on the frontend.
>I'm ssh'ed in, and of course ssh sets DISPLAY to its own forwarded
>connection,

ssh -x

(that's a lower-case "x" saying to disable X forwarding)

> so I have to change that or everything will just display
>back on my desktop where I'm typing.  If I try "export DISPLAY=:0.0"
>then even trivial things like xterm say ``Xlib: connection to ":0.0"
>refused by server'' and ``Xlib: No protocol specified''; thinking that
>this is a permissions problem, I tried "xhost +" and got the same
>error, so it's clearly having troubles connecting to the server.

You should execute it as the same user running X.  If you can't do that,
you should use

xauth add :0 . <MIT Magic Cookie Hex>

where the key is the one in use by the user running X (available by
having that user run "xauth list").  But if you don't care about
security, "xhost +" should work as long as you have a valid
~/.Xauthority file that specifies an MIT magic cookie (doesn't matter
what one, as long as there is one).  Also, I'm assuming you're using MIT
magic cookies, but you may actually be using something else (it would be
listed in "xauth list") and you'll have to change the "xauth add" to
specify the protocol as well as the key.

>On the other hand, if I try ssh'ing from desktop machine A to machine
>B, doing "export DISPLAY=:0.0", and then trying an xterm, without even
>"xhost +", an xterm pops up on B as expected.  Yet this doesn't work
>at all if I try it to the Myth frontend machine.  (And they're all
>running Ubuntu Breezy.)
>
>So I'm obviously missing something dumb...

There are a lot of subtleties involved in X auth, so it can be a
challenge to figure out how to make it do what you want.

Mike