[mythtv-users] Silent Fan for Socket A (AthlonXP 3000)

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Sat Dec 3 00:19:22 EST 2005

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>> Jeff Simpson wrote:

8< Snip need new quiet heat sync

>> I've got two of these
>> http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0071SonicTower/cl-p0071.htm
>>
>> on two Athlon XP 3200s and they're awesome, my frontend goes up to 54C
>> under heavy load with one 40Gb 7200RPM Hard-Drive and one slow
>> spinning 120mm fan, my backend is exactly the same but plus a 200Gb
>> 7200RPM /myth drive and I've seen 57C as measured by the sensor on the
>> MB under the chip, (I gather there is a 7~18C difference between that
>> and the on-die thermistor) I'm considering taking the thing out of the
>> case and mounting it on the wall at which point you wouldn't need a
>> fan at all.
>
> Wow, that's a cool looking heat sink. (NPI)  It seems that putting the
> fan in between the two "beach condos"  would provide better flow.  Is
> there enough room?

Yes, there's probably room (the heatpipes are a bit flexible) but
there's a non-insurmountable problem that the holes that the fan holders
screw into are on the outside, (both sides so you could have the fan on
either side) but I don't have a fan on it at all, it's quite close to
the power supply and the very slow spinning and quiet 120mm fan on that
in conjunction with convection causes easily enough airflow to keep
things cool, the next step for me (if I needed more cooling) would be to
build some cardboard ducting to direct more of the suction from the PSU
fan past the CPU heat sync, after that I'd put in a case fan and
cardboard ducting.

I find that breakfast cereal boxes and masking tape are the best
combination for home-brew ducting.

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)