[mythtv-users] Silent Fan for Socket A (AthlonXP 3000)

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 01:46:31 EST 2005

Jeff Simpson wrote:
> I am upgrading the processor in my myth/desktop box from an AthlonXP
> 1600 to a 3000 (because it's the fastest processor my board can support
> and I was going to buy another 1600 for somebody else but opted to trade
> mine up and give them my old one instead).
>
> I need to get a new fan because the one I have doesn't cool enough for a
> 3000. I have always gotten the Thermaltake brand and really like them,
> but I want to get something quiet. I looked for the Thermaltake
> SilentBoost A1889, and while it seems like a great + quiet fan, there
> are NO vendors that have any stock in these, except the ones selling it
> for $50 (instead of $20).
>
> I have an order placed for one, but I expect it, like the others, will
> be cancelled when they realize they have no stock.
>
> So my question: Anybody have other suggestions for good silent SocketA
> fans that will be happy cooling an AthlonXP 3000? I'd like to keep cost
> under $30 and preferably have the noise rating close to or under 20dBA.
> Thanks

I've got two of these
http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/4in1heatpipe/cl-p0071SonicTower/cl-p0071.htm
on two Athlon XP 3200s and they're awesome, my frontend goes up to 54C
under heavy load with one 40Gb 7200RPM Hard-Drive and one slow spinning
120mm fan, my backend is exactly the same but plus a 200Gb 7200RPM /myth
drive and I've seen 57C as measured by the sensor on the MB under the
chip, (I gather there is a 7~18C difference between that and the on-die
thermistor) I'm considering taking the thing out of the case and
mounting it on the wall at which point you wouldn't need a fan at all.

--
tveeprom: Hauppauge: model = 34132, rev = J158,
tveeprom: tuner = Philips FM1236 MK3 (idx = 58, type = 4)