[mythtv-users] Silent Fan for Socket A (AthlonXP 3000)

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 17:07:02 EST 2005

If your board has the four holes surrounding the CPU
(which is apparently not required by AMD in Socket A
designs), then you can use one of the Zalman flower
designs.  When the fan is turned down to the lowest,
it's very quiet, and still does a good job of cooling.
 (I use them in all of my PCs, including my socket 754
MythTV machine.)

Otherwise, another good heatsink is the Thermalright
XP series.  They're just a big block, and you attach
your own (quiet) fan onto them (of course, you need to
find a quiet fan).

If you're looking to make a quieter PC, I highly
recommend that you check out
http://www.silentpcreview.com - they have reviews of
many heatsinks along with noise readings.

-- Joe