[mythtv-users] Silent Fan for Socket A (AthlonXP 3000)

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 16:58:35 EST 2005

I am upgrading the processor in my myth/desktop box from an AthlonXP 1600 to
a 3000 (because it's the fastest processor my board can support and I was
going to buy another 1600 for somebody else but opted to trade mine up and
give them my old one instead).

I need to get a new fan because the one I have doesn't cool enough for a
3000. I have always gotten the Thermaltake brand and really like them, but I
want to get something quiet. I looked for the Thermaltake SilentBoost A1889,
and while it seems like a great + quiet fan, there are NO vendors that have
any stock in these, except the ones selling it for $50 (instead of $20).

I have an order placed for one, but I expect it, like the others, will be
cancelled when they realize they have no stock.

So my question: Anybody have other suggestions for good silent SocketA fans
that will be happy cooling an AthlonXP 3000? I'd like to keep cost under $30
and preferably have the noise rating close to or under 20dBA. Thanks

 - Jeff