[mythtv-users] Cable Box Sources

Gerald J. Berg gjb at datafirst.com
Wed Aug 31 22:50:23 UTC 2005

I use a Hauppauge 500 for capturing multiple channels, but it can only
select up to 125 channels. I just picked up 2 boxes from Time Warner so my
MythTV box will be able to select from a broader range of channels. These
cable boxes are Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250. There is an IR port in the
back, but the technician told me it was purposely disabled by Time Warner.

There is also a USB port on the front of these boxes, but I am not sure how
it can be used.

I am looking for a source to purchase 4 of these SA 3250 boxes (or some
similar brand) for these reasons:

1.    Eliminate the monthly charge from Time Warner for using each box.

2.    Have remote control through its IR port

3.    Not have to worry about them being recalled after being integrated
into my MythTV system

Does anyone have an idea of how to purchase this or a similar product?

Jerry