[mythtv-users] Bootup, mythtv & mame.

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 13:58:32 UTC 2005

> I was curious to know how to have MythTV start right after bootup in Linux,
> before anything else is shown.  Before Gnome or KDE is shown, or better yet
> not to have them load in the first place.

Gnome & KDE are just windw managers. It's possible to remove them and
use a less resource hungry window manager like ratpoison. Search the
archives for ratpoison to get more info. My setup uses ratpoison and
it boots right into MythTV without any KDE desktop malarkey showing
up.

> I also would like to know if there is a specific command switch to start
> MythTV in the Mame category/section of the interface when it does boot.  Is
> this possible?  If so, how?

You could do this by editing the menu files for whatever theme you're
using. I think you may want to put a copy of mainmenu.xml in your
/home/mythtv/.mythtv directory and edit that to have the menu items
you want on it. Get mainmenu.xml from
/usr/share/mythtv/themes/<themenameyourusing>/. -Again, the archives
will have lots of stuff on this.

Regards,
Phill