[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Xine and ac3 passthrough using ALSA while playing dvd's gives a skip or stutter effect

Nate Thompson nightstrm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 14:20:06 UTC 2005

On 8/30/05, Chad Delatte <gremlin190 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
> I'm having a huge problem playing DVD's using Xine and
> Mplayer. Everytime I try to play a dvd I get a
> stutter or skip sound. It is only when I try to use
> AC3. Normal stuff goes thru my spdif out like wav
> files and mp3's. I am using a pvr350 and a pvr 250
> and am using onboard sound. I also had this problem
> with a SB Audigy. I am using Fedora Core 4 and it is
> a clean install. I have also tried with FC3.
> Thanks

 I had the same problem, which was resolved by upgrading to a later version
of ALSA. This was on FC3, so I'm not sure which version FC4 ships with, but
you might want to see if a newer version is available. Actually, I think I
still occasionally get a skip, but it only happens once every couple DVDs
instead of every couple seconds as before. Hope this helps,
 Nate