[mythtv-users] mythtranscode and nuvexport (memory usage and swapping)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Aug 29 17:17:54 UTC 2005

> I ran into similar issues with nuvexport.  What I have
> done (which seems to work just fine) is to cut
> commercials out with this program:

If you're hitting swap, then one of the nuvexport calls is broken and
the fifo is getting disconnected (audio or video), which causes
mythtranscode to continue to write to the fifo (which is cached in RAM).

> http://www.pvrguide.no-ip.com/bbs-old/viewtopic.php?t=26826

Which program?  commercial_cut or avidemux?  afaik, avidemux is the ONLY
program capable of cutting mpeg files at places other than the GOP
(necessary for cutting commercials, which may or may not fall on a GOP
edge) without reencoding everything.

> I then transcode with mencoder which seems to do well
> with the HD stream contained inside Myth's nuv
> container.

Once and for all, please learn that THERE ARE NO HD nupplevideo files
from myth, unless you use mythtranscode to convert them to mpeg4.  If
you record HD, what you see called .nuv is really an mpeg2 TS (or PS,
depending on settings) file.  Only thing that makes it not look like an
mpeg is the fact that the filename says .nuv instead of .mpg.  Same goes
for files recorded from pvr-x50 cards.  They're *not* nupplevideo, but
standard mpeg recordings in standard mpeg containers.

Currently, and I don't know why, nuvexport does NOT work with TS files.
  I haven't had time to debug it (only recently got an air2pc card), and
don't really know enough about ffmpeg/transcode/mencoder to figure out
how to make them work.  (I'm open to help if anyone knows how)

-Chris