[mythtv-users] OT: LIRC on Gentoo with new Nova-T

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 09:28:41 UTC 2005

Hi,

I know it's not a LIRC-list, but Im postign this here in case someone
recognizes this problem and konows of a quick solution:

I'm on Gentoo, running the vanilla-sources 2.6.10-kernel with the
bytesex.org-patches to get my TV card working. It's a Nova-T, Model
928. That's Connexant-based and with the IR-reciver connected to the
card itself.

Actually, I have 2 of those cards - don't know if that makes a
difference when setting up LIRC. (v. 0.7.0-r1)

I tried following various tutorials to get LIRC going, mainly this one:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_LIRC

and I took some hints for i2c kernel modules from this one

http://home.comcast.net/~alf_park/mythtv.html

(although 'm not 100% sure I got the correct chipsets enabled... :-( )

I also used a lircd.conf file posted to the group a few days ago.

Right now, this is the state of the system:

I can start lircd with -d /dev/lirc0, but afterwards, I only have
/dev/lircd, not /dev/lirc0

modprobe lirc-i2c gives an error message:
FATAL: Module lirc_i2c not found.
I tried depmod -ae to make it show up - no luck.

irw starts but drops me directly back onto the command line. Any
subsequent attempt to start it results in a "Connection refused" until
I restart lircd.

Pressing the "OK"-button on the remote seems to be recognized as a
"Return"-keypress by the system, any other buttons are ignored.

The fact that the system reacts to the remote at all makes me think
that it should be possible to get this working, however I have
absolutely no idea where to go from here.

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jens