[mythtv-users] MythDVD offline Archive or Catalog?

Anthony Vito anthony.vito at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:17:19 UTC 2005

There was talk about this very nice feature last year in this thread.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/73859  . but I
haven't seen any patch or follow ups. I like the scripts you have put
together. I myself put together a script to deal with playing
MythVideo files as well. I have a few problems with the way MythVideo
works.

1.) I use a sub directory for each movie.
2.) Some movies span more then one file.

 I used the file extension ".store" and created a script called
"playstore.pl" to give me additional control over playing files in
mythvideo. I set up MythVideo to only assoicate .store files with
playable movies, and used the playstore.pl script as the default
"player". I have a .store file for each movie. My .store files hold
additional information about the files, and the script can act on that
information.

For example, here is a sample .store file for example movie "A Cool Movie"

name=A_Cool_Movie
path=/var/media/movies/A_Cool_Movie
aspect=1.7

The playstore.pl script (attached) will play the video files in the
'path' folder in lexigraphical order. So I make sure I name the parts
like "A_Cool_Movie.1.avi" and "A_Cool_Movie.2.avi" one little hack I
added was to throw in the aspect ratio, if needed.

When I was writing all this I was thinking of that original post.
Hoping that I could number each backup DVD with 5 movies on it, and
the script would prompt for inserting the correct disc. I will now
combine our two scripts and ideas. Since .store files have path names,
you can imagine specifing a path on a media device. You can also
imagine specificing a disc # in the .store file. The script could then
prompt for the disc #, and correctly identify the disc when inserted
by contents.

I should probably just sit down with the C++ code and fix MythVideo to
do all this natively..... peace....

--
Anthony Vito
anthony.vito at gmail.com