[mythtv-users] System Setup: Dual Opterons, Firewire, Xvmc, Homebrew Lirc, 64-bit packages, Hdtv (DVI to HDMI), Panasonic PT-AE700U Projector, Optical Digital Audio Surround Output

Greg Depasse greg.depasse at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 16:33:39 UTC 2005

On 8/24/05, Matt Mousseau <matt at amsvans.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to put together the system to end all systems. I believe I
> have spec'd out all the hardware, but I was hoping to get some feedback on
> everyone's experiences with each individual aspect of the system. First I
> will post the proposed specs, then the desired software / hardware behavior,
> then questions that I'm concerned with at the moment. If anyone thinks of
> something I may have missed, please let me know!
>  Also, as I build this I will be writing a guide. I am very much new to
> linux, so it should be helpful to the "n00bs" in the community.
>  *System:*
>  Mobo: TYAN S2885ANRF (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813151120)
> Proc: AMD Opteron 246 SledgeHammer 400MHz FSB (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103412)
> Raid: HighPoint ROCKETRAID2220 PCI-X SATA Controller (
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16816115022)
> Ram: Thinking around 1gb / chip
> HD's: 4x400gb SATA For my "archive" ; 2x250gb SATA "working"; 1x160gb PATA
> "music" ; 1x80gb PATA "boot"
> Firewire: Basic 4 Port controller (for hookup to my HDTV recievers)
> Nic's: Thinking the onboards should work, will add new ones if necessary
> Audio: Need a recomendation here, onboard is Coax SPDIF, was looking for
> an optical solution (longer run so i'm concerned about noise)
> Graphics: Recommendations are good here too, I want DVI to HDMI for my
> projector, as well as a second monitor running (for diagnostics, etc...)

Hi Matt-
As a noob who has the same mobo I'd love to see what you come up with. I
haven't been able to get mine up and running. Of course, the bulk of my
problems have been trying to get a PVR-250 running (which you don't have
spec'd). The rest of the mobo stuff works great.

I had the same plan as you (although not quite as extensive in the
automation dept). I bought the same mobo and CPUs. I also bought a couple
PVR-250's, only to find out that this mobo only has 1 slot compatible with
the cards. I've been trying on and off since April to get this working. My
wife and and I had our first child in March, so their hasn't been much free
time for me to work on this. I tried the 64-bit OS route and found that I
didn't gain much except a headache (be careful of some of the software
repository issues regarding the 64-bit distros), so I reverted to the 32-bit
versions. I've tried FC3 (jarod's guide), knoppmyth, gentoo, and suse 9.3.
(And I'm about to try the new version of MythDora). I couldn't get any of
them to work with either of my PVR-250s. It's been a couple months since
I've last attempted an install, and I'm sure much has improved in the 64-bit
area since then so good luck. I'm not a linux guru, which definitely
accounts for some of the delay in getting this to work. My guess is that you
will have better luck.

Greg