[mythtv-users] System Setup: Dual Opterons, Firewire, Xvmc, Homebrew Lirc, 64-bit packages, Hdtv (DVI to HDMI), Panasonic PT-AE700U Projector, Optical Digital Audio Surround Output

Matt Mousseau matt at amsvans.com
Wed Aug 24 15:47:09 UTC 2005

I'm looking to put together the system to end all systems. I believe I
have spec'd out all the hardware, but I was hoping to get some feedback
on everyone's experiences with each individual aspect of the system.
First I will post the proposed specs, then the desired software /
hardware behavior, then questions that I'm concerned with at the moment.
If anyone thinks of something I may have missed, please let me know!

Also, as I build this I will be writing a guide. I am very much new to
linux, so it should be helpful to the "n00bs" in the community.

System:

Mobo: TYAN S2885ANRF (
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813151120>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813151120)
Proc:  AMD Opteron 246 SledgeHammer 400MHz FSB (
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103412>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103412)
Raid:  HighPoint ROCKETRAID2220 PCI-X SATA Controller (
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16816115022>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16816115022)
Ram:  Thinking around 1gb / chip
HD's:  4x400gb SATA For my "archive" ; 2x250gb SATA "working"; 1x160gb
PATA "music" ; 1x80gb PATA "boot"
Firewire:  Basic 4 Port controller (for hookup to my HDTV recievers)
Nic's:  Thinking the onboards should work, will add new ones if
necessary
Audio: Need a recomendation here, onboard is Coax SPDIF, was looking for
an optical solution (longer run so i'm concerned about noise)
Graphics: Recommendations are good here too, I want DVI to HDMI for my
projector, as well as a second monitor running (for diagnostics, etc...)

Incoming Stuff:

Cable Company: Comcast in Midtown Atlanta, GA
Recievers: 2xMotorola 6200 Series (Firewire outputs already verified to
work, as well as channel changing)

Operational Plan:

For standard PVR operation, I want this system to:
 1. Record a show to /mythtv on "working" drive set (be it HDTV, or
plain DTV)
 2. Wait till I flag the commercials then...
 3. Automatically re-encode, cutting commercials
        - Obey profile based on recording schedule (Profile determines
bitrate, audio format (ie, certain broadcasts may have surrond, i want
to keep that))
 4. Once encoded, move to /mythtvArchive on "archive" drive set, and
update mythtv database with new file location, or create symbolic link
(which would be better/possible?)

I also want to archive my DVD collection, so the I'd like to set up the
ripper to:
 1. Rip the dvd
 2. Encode using chosen profile (again, for video bitrate / whether or
not to keep surround)
 3. Store in /mythvideo directory on "archive" drive set

About burning dvds...
 1. Is it possible to take encoded shows and burn dvd's that play in
standard dvd players (i know re-re-encoding is necessary, i want to know
if it can be automated)

Also, additional frontends will be connected so...
 1. Will a gigabit connection suffice?
 2. If so, how many frontends would be reasonable?

Addional Remote Functionality
 1. I want to write scripts to respond to button presses on my remote,
ie, so "power" button turns on projector, tv, and amp, sets input on
projector / amp, etc.

Software Plan of Attack

Install Fedora Core 3 x86_64
  Goes on "boot"

Install Lirc
 This will involve recording each remote from my system, and writing the
power-on / power-off scripts, etc.

Install Pre-Requisites for mythtv build
 Planning on using mythtv.com documentation / Jarod's guide

Build mythtv
 This is where I am the most unsure. I need to build it with native
Lirc, firewire support, and xvmc output. Is there anything else I'm
missing?
 Are there things I need to know about building for a dual processor
system / 64-bit system?

Pull out hair
 This is where the alot of work will be done. I need to write the
scripts to do the transcode, move the file, create the links, etc.

Conclusion

  Sorry this turned into such a long email, but by the end of this I
hope to pull together a clear and concise guide on how it all gets
accomplished in the end. All scripts / etc will be available for the
community.

Sincerely,

Matthew Mousseau
AMSVans, Inc. Webmaster