[mythtv-users] I'm so frustrated. (PVR-500)

Rob Bongiovi rbongiovi at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 18:05:28 UTC 2005

I am no linux or ivtv expert and I don't use
Knoppmyth, but here is a quick summary of how I got
the PVR-500 (and another PVR-150 in the same computer)
to work.

I have had no luck with the PVR-150/500 support in the
standard 0.2.x ivtv, so per Jarod's instructions, I
download the testing version of ivtv from
ATRPMS(currently version 0.3.7d which I upgraded to
with no problems).

The problem is that this downloads the latest,
unstable firmware. I find I have more luck if I
downgrade the firmware per the instructions at this
site:

http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=PVR150-500Firmware

and

http://ivtv.writeme.ch/tiki-index.php?page=FirmwareVersions

Also, there is a little "feature" to be aware of. For
some reason, the cards need some time to "take" the
new firmware. So after you downgrade the firmware,
leave the computer off for a minute or so, then
restart. I've also noticed that sometimes the audio on
the 2nd input (which in my case is the 1st tuner on
the PVR-500) doesn't work. Again, power down, wait a
minute or more, and it will work (repeat if it doesn't
but it has everytime for me).

In any case, this gets my PVR-500 and PVR-150 to work
(via tuners only, I haven't tried the s-video or
composite inputs).

Hope this helps!

Rob