[mythtv-users] I'm so frustrated. (PVR-500)

Mike stuff at dustsmoke.com
Sun Aug 21 01:56:11 UTC 2005

Richard Bronosky wrote:

>So I tried to buy hardware specifically to have a good MythTV
>experience.  ( See setup here http://www.bronosky.com/index.php?p=21 )
>I have obviously failed.
>
>I've installed KnoppMyth R5A16, and followed these instructions for ivtv
>http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4822#28248  I used
>ivtv-0.3.7d.  I got HcwMakoA.ROM & HcwFalcn.rom off of the latest CD
>posted on http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_mce.html
>
>I'm getting the "reddish static fade in, fade out" problem.  I'm hearing
>people talk about loading the ivtv module with different parameters.  I
>don't know what loading a module is, or how to change parameters.  I
>hear people talking about modules.conf and modprobe.conf...
>
>This is just too much for me to figure out right now.  I don't feel like
>I know enough to know what I need to learn.  I'm not dead set on
>KnoppMyth, but I am dead set on the hardware described above.  Can
>someone please tell me the easiest way to get a viewable video signal
>from a PVR-500 using mplayer or something?  I just need a little victory
>to feel good about this project again.

did you try 0.3.7g... I'm betting it is because your tuners aren't
detecting correctly. I never had these problems on Debian but somebody I
know had tried knoppmyth and had the exact same issues you are talking
about. He gave me access where I tried to build 0.3.7c and I couldn't
get it detecting the tuners right either. It seemed like something was
wrong with tveeprom.ko which didn't make much sense since building it
exactly the same way on debian vs knoppmyth produces 2 entirely
different results.... Debian works, knoppmyth doesn't detect tuners
right with a rebuild tveeprom.ko..

And for future reference, people will be able to tell you whats wrong
quicker if you post the relivent info from 'dmesg' and post your
configurations.

-Mike