[mythtv-users] Celeron OK?

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:15:06 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Christopher David Petersen
<christopher.david.petersen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/17/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/17/05, Anil Gupte <anil-list at icinema.com> wrote:
> > > I am going to build a system with a Celeron 2.6 socket 775 - any known
> problems
> > > with that?
> >
> > For DVB (records stream directly to disk) and ivtv (PVR card encodes
> > video and audio) it'll be more than fine, as these cards work with
> > minimal CPU power. The only problem I can see is perhaps 1080i HDTV or
> > if you're doing excessive CPU-based tasks at the same time.
> >
> > (Like Phill, I'm also running a 2.4 CelD with DVB and ivtv cards)

> For less heat and noise a Celeron Northwood would be better. Starmicro has
> Celeron 2.6 Northwoods for $65. Granted, it's a socket 478 chip so if you've
> already purchased your motherboard my suggestion is useless.

This info is definitely worth taking heed of. I couldn't easily source
a Northwood for my system, but they have a significantly lower thermal
rating than the newer Prescott chips, meaning you can run a noticeably
cooler and quieter system. After modding my Pundit-R system though
with new fans for the CPU and PSU though, it's still very quiet.

Nick