[mythtv-users] HELP Ati remote wonder on FC3

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 03:43:01 UTC 2005

On 8/17/05, Tim Litwiller <timlitw at gmail.com> wrote:
> For me it just worked like a second mouse in fedora core 2 3 and 4
>
> and then follow the instructions from the LIRC section on my remote
> wonder web page
> http://www.litwiller.net/mythtv/remote.html

Thank your Tim and Ernie for your quick responses
tim I have followed your instructions, and I get a little farther, but
I still dont seem to recieve any codes from my remote

I still cannot successfully recieve any signals via irw

[root at mythfe1 ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bc7:0004 X10 Wireless Technology, Inc. X10 Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

[root at mythfe1 ~]# ls -al /dev/lirc*
crw-------  1 root root 61, 0 Aug 17 19:19 /dev/lirc0

[root at mythfe1 ~]# dmesg | grep ati
Allocating PCI resources starting at 18000000 (gap: 18000000:e7b00000)
Calibrating delay loop... 1978.36 BogoMIPS (lpj=989184)
PCI: Using configuration type 1
ICH: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306
lirc_atiusb: USB remote driver for LIRC v0.4
lirc_atiusb: Paul Miller <pmiller9 at users.sourceforge.net>
lirc_atiusb[2]: X10 Wireless Technology Inc USB Receiver on usb1:2
usbcore: registered new driver lirc_atiusb

[root at mythfe1 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 3c59x
alias char-major-61 lirc_atiusb
alias lirc_dev lirc_atiusb
alias snd-card-0 snd-cmipci
options snd-card-0 index=0
install snd-cmipci /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-cmipci &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-cmipci { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-cmipci
alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7174
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7174

/etc/lircd.conf is the first remote desc from lircd.conf.atiusb with
the remote code 5000023600, althought I have gotten to this point and
used the whole original file

After all this looks good I try to run lircd and start the test with
irw and some button presses, but this is all I get

[root at mythfe1 ~]# lircd -d /dev/lirc0 --nodaemon &
[1] 4216
[root at mythfe1 ~]# lircd-0.7.2[4216]: lircd(any) ready

[root at mythfe1 ~]# irw
lircd-0.7.2[4216]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd

[button presses happen here, but no sign that the the computer
recieves it, the Recievers LED is on and solid, and the remotes led
blinks when ever a key is pressed] is there anything that seems
missing?

I do notice that regardless of it I have the lirc_atiusb line that
dmesg still comments about installing an x10 wireless reciever, and
lirc0 is still there, I am begining to wonder if recompiling the
kernel module ati_remote to have better key bindings is going to be
easier than setting up lirc, and I hate compiling, let alone editing
kernel module files