[mythtv-users] running just mythcommflag on another linux host?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Aug 17 14:05:56 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm working with very limited processor constraints. I've got
a 733mhz P3 with a PVR-350 card as my frontend/backend.
This is fine for TV recording and playback as it's 100% hardware
accelerated, but it breaks down when I want to play DVDs, even
with the new 0.3.7d ivtv drivers with XV support. So I need to
offload as much CPU as possible.

This MythTV box mounts all it's storage directories over
100BaseTX NFS. The machine hosting my disk array and NFS
is a dual CPU 600mhz P3, and it's CPUs are idle 99% of the
time.

I'm going to migrate the MySQL database to my NFS server
tonight, but I doubt that will give me any useful performance benefits.
I'm mainly doing it to make sure my Myth DB is on the RAID-1
array for reliability reasons.

What I'd like to do is run mythcommflag on the NFS server. I've
notice mythcommflag chew up as much as 40% CPU, so this would
be a big win.

Is it possible to setup a slave backend on the NFS server that
doesn't have a tuner and only runs mythcommflag jobs and periodic
jobs like mythfilldatabase?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani